REAL Project Director
SCI Yemen is embarking on the Restoring Education and Learning (REAL) project, funded by the World Bank and in partnership with WFP and UNICEF. The project objective is to maintain access to basic education, improve conditions for learning and strengthen education sector capacity in selected districts of several governorates in Yemen.
The Project Director (PD) will act as the overall lead of the programme on behalf of SCI Yemen. S/he will be responsible for providing technical leadership and overall management of the REAL program, working closely with field and technical teams to provide operational guidance, support MEAL, ensure programme quality, and strict compliance to the World Bank standards including Environmental & Social Safeguarding (ESS) standards. S/he will play a critical role in overseeing a wide array of deliverables, lead on the collaboration with key stakeholders (implementing partners, World Bank, Ministry of Education), ensure critical decision making processes are followed through with senior management, and that the necessary resources/processes are in place for an effective implementation of the project.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience in development, humanitarian response, technical sector (Education, Protection, etc.) or related field is required.
• Minimum 10 years of demonstrable professional experience in implementing humanitarian or development programmes, including at least 5 years’ experience in a senior leadership role
• Prior experience in complex emergency responses and fragile states; prior experience working in conflict settings
• Significant experience of NGO programme cycle management, including field-level project delivery and establishing robust implementation and monitoring systems
• Demonstrable financial management experience, including managing large-scale project budgets as primary budget holder
• In-depth knowledge and experience of logistics systems and requirements in a multi-field office, multi programme setting
• Familiarity with key humanitarian and development donors and of leading high level donor representation and negotiation
• Experience working with government line ministries on program implementation
• Familiarity/experience of working within Yemen or a similar context
• Experience of working with the World Bank or similar institutional donor and navigating complex compliance conditions
• Experience of complex project management with a large number of internal and external stakeholders
• Understanding of education programming and working with government line ministries
• Exceptional managerial and operational leadership skills proven through results
• Strong leadership skills and ability to inspire and enable others through teamwork, training, and capacity building to realize program objectives
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills
• Demonstrated problem solving skills, a collaborative and flexible manner, creativity and willingness to innovate
• Ability to identify, address and resolve communication issues within the program and with external stakeholders is required
• Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with Yemen host government partners at the national and governorate levels
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations, and within a matrix management structure
• Proven track record of effective and convincing representation and negotiation skills
• Fluent oral and strong analytical written English communications skills is required; Arabic language is desirable
• Flexibility and the ability to effectively adjust expectations to on-the ground realities, while adhering to humanitarian principles and standards.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 31 Mar 2021
Closing date: 19 Apr 2021 - 22:59 CEST
Location: Sanaa, Yemen
Department: Business Transformation
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time